HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY
We value both our clients and our staff and it’s paramount to us that we always work to prevent injury or damage on all our work sites.
We’re proud of the extensive health and safety measures we have in place, and the culture of safety we have built for our company. We are also designated as a WorkWell-compliant company with the WSIB, a rigorous standard that is not commonly achieved in the landscaping industry.
Central to our program is the Internal Responsibility System, where every employee is a recognized part of the overall health and safety of our environment. No one person is responsible – each person needs to create and maintain a safe workplace. Our working motto is “Safety starts with me.”
Other components of our program include:
- Safety training – from new hire safety orientations to certifications with the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association and www.gogreenius.com
- Joint Health & Safety Committee – to continually monitor and improve the work environment.
- Wellness Program – to promote employee health.
- Health Spending Account – monies set aside for employee access should health-related needs arise.
- Safety Recognition Program – encouraging safe behaviour in a fun way, with prizes, gift certificates and pizza!
Respect for the environment is at our core.
After all, it’s our workplace…and our canvas.
Gelderman Landscape Services is committed to environmental stewardship. Attention to our natural world plays a prominent role in how we conduct ourselves in business, with our customers, staff, community, and suppliers. Here are some examples of how we put it into action:
- Employee education – employees are trained in safety, waste reduction and the proper use and application of products.
- Landscape design – consideration is given to the amount of green space, trees and native plants in our landscape designs. All help to reduce CO2 levels and increase the levels of oxygen.
- Organic waste – grass clippings and brush are recycled at our yard, an effective and practical use of waste.
- Non-organic waste – job site waste is minimized and recycled wherever possible.
- Equipment – lawn mowing equipment is fuel-injected and equipped with catalytic converters which eliminates more than 95% of carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides.
- Equipment maintenance – equipment lines are well maintained and replaced every five years.
- Equipment operation – only clean-burning fuels are used to reduce emissions.
- Products – natural product alternatives are used.
- Environmental Program for Healthy Lawns – pro-active soil care and alternatives to pesticides are promoted.
- Employee awareness – environmental awareness is encouraged among our employees as well as working in an environmentally friendly manner.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR ONTARIANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (AODA) POLICY
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
While fulfilling our mission, all Gelderman Landscape Services staff are committed to providing accessibility and equitable customer service to all of our customers. We strive to design and operate our business so that every person benefits from the same services regardless of any disability they may have.
Gelderman Landscape Services’ core values support our commitment to providing “Red Carpet Care” to all customers including those with disabilities. This translates as continuously improving our service and fulfilling our promises for all customers in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Caring is in our nature.
Gelderman Landscape Services will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services. Gelderman Landscape Services has delivered staff training that communicates the accessibility standards for customer service in accordance with the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07.
Our Human Resources department will keep a record of training received by Gelderman Landscape Services. Training includes:
- The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
- The requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service (Ontario Regulation 429/08)
- How to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use assistive devices or require the assistance of a service animal or support person;
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animal or support person. All are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public. It is the responsibility of the person with a service animal to control the animal at all times.
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities who have hired Gelderman Landscape Services will be promptly contacted via a phone call or in person. Details including reason for the disruption and anticipated length will be communicated if available. Alternatively, a notice may be posted on our website depending on the circumstance.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Gelderman Landscape Services provides goods and services to people with disabilities can phone, email, or visit the office in person.
All feedback will be directed to the President. Customers can expect to hear back within 10 business days. Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedures.
Any policy of Gelderman Landscape Services that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.