Are you being Smart about water use?
Did you know that July is Smart Irrigation Month throughout the U.S. and Canada?
It’s an initiative of the Irrigation Association, the leading membership organization for irrigation equipment and system manufacturers, dealers, distributors, designers, consultants, contractors and end-users.
First launched in 2005, Smart Irrigation Month helps to promote the positive impact that efficient irrigation and water use provides.
The Irrigation Association offers the following tips for using irrigation water more efficiently:
- Install rain sensors on sprinkler systems.
- Adjust irrigation timers according to seasonal needs.
- Detect and repair all leaks in irrigation systems.
- Water trees and shrubs, which have deep root systems, longer and less frequently than shallow-rooted plants which require smaller amounts of water more often.
- Set sprinklers to water the lawn or garden only — not the street or sidewalk.
- Water the lawn or garden during the coolest part of the day (early morning is best). Do not water on windy days.
- Use properly treated wastewater for irrigation where available.
- Have system serviced regularly.
- Use mulch around shrubs and garden plants to reduce evaporation from the soil surface and cut down on weed growth.
- Remove thatch and aerate turf to encourage movement of water to the root zone.
- Raise your lawn mower cutting height — longer grass blades help shade each other, cutting down on evaporation. They also inhibit weed growth.
- Do not install or use ornamental water features unless they recycle the water.
A well-designed, properly installed and appropriately maintained irrigation system can be the most efficient way to keep a landscape healthy. The benefits of an automatic irrigation system include reduced labour for watering, convenience, full landscape coverage, easy control over irrigation timing for early-morning watering, added value to your home or business property and minimized plant loss during drought.
With irrigation systems that deliver exactly the right amount of water at the right time to lawns, plants and trees, you can be assured of environmentally sound and efficient results. A certified water management professional can also save you money.
To find out more about Smart Irrigation Month, go to http://www.smartirrigationmonth.org/.